Wednesday 2 September 2015

Travelog - Little India & Jonker Walk Melaka

We were so bored during the long Merdeka weekend, so hubby and I decided to take a walk from our hotel to Jonker Walk. Yes, we are currently living in a hotel as we are yet to get the allocated accommodation for government servants. And why am I living in a hotel? So rich, meh? Noooo,  we are not super-rich or 'mengada-ngada'.
not rich poor man

The issue here is, in order to get the allocated accommodation, hubby needs to get approval from the Director of the {place he was working, sorry can't disclose it} in its monthly meeting. But, the meeting has been postponed twice and so here we are, stuck in this dingy hotel. Enough rambling, back to the original story. Ah, yes! Jonker Walk & Little India...

Melaka is so hot during the day so we can't ventured out anytime before 5 pm. But, all the pa & ma shop lots along Little India area closed at 5 pm, so there were less crowd when we were exploring the Little India street. You'll definitely know why it's called Little India cause' you won't miss the lovely flower shops and Indian clothing shops along the street. There is a one nice Indian restaurant there as well, that sells yummy rice dishes on banana leaves. Sorry, I forgot to jot down the name of the restaurant, though.

Saw this ancient looking building that houses CIMB ATM. I'm not sure whether it's a fully functional bank because I only saw the ATMs, but it is interesting idea to maintain and protect old buildings in Melaka. It is part of our heritage and history. 

Moving along the narrow pavements of the shop lots, saw lots of interesting shops that you'd never see if you are travelling by car in Melaka. There's a Sikh Association, Chinese and Indian restaurants,   Tabib Cina (Traditional Chinese Healer) and it all looked so ancient as if time had stop in 1950s. Sorry, being an urbanite makes me a bit jakun (how to translate in English?).

Melaka is proud of its Little India....

I even saw this building named Bangunan Madonna. I wondered what's inside the building. I can't any info about it on Google, though....hmm 

One of the many bridges across Melaka River. I don't understand the signage in Chinese below, but it looked ancient. If you do know what it meant, do let me know in the comment ok!

This Discovery Cafe is famous among foreign tourists and received high ratings in TripAdvisor website. It looked kind of empty during the day but at night this cafe light up like Christmas tree. Maybe next time, I'll try to grab something to eat here.

There's a museum as well. I love reading about Admiral Cheng Ho and its related history with Melaka. I didn't get to enter the museum though as it's already close for the day. If you looked above to the left of the building, there are 3 stones statue overlooking above you. I was quite startled when I first saw it, I thought someone was looking at me from above. :-)

It was almost sunset when we reached Melaka river... I felt quite relaxed and happy to be able to enjoy this with hubby.

Walking along the tranquil Melaka River with lots of interesting looking building along the river. This picture captured my attention as you can see there's a guy that looked like Colonel Sanders (yes, the KFC guy) sitting there...

Awesome mural by Kiehls... Great place for your Instagram picture post! or wedding pictorial as well...

 Finally, we reached Jonker Walk. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take lots of picture as there were TOO many people. It was hot and humid, I was sweating like crazy. Girl, bring along small fan along with you as that place was super HOT even late in the evening.

 A bowl of cendol before heading home. It was super yummy!

 Gothic looking Hard Rock Cafe. Yes, Melaka do have a Hard Rock Cafe...

 I got to put in this scary looking building in my post. I don't know the name of the building but I had goose bumps when I was taking the picture.

 Well, it had been fun, scary and sweaty kind of day but I enjoyed it so much. I never know I would enjoy that walk that much as I had been living in Melaka almost 4 years before we moved to the UK. There are still things left to be discovered and explore.

Till next time, XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Tak puas berjalan lagi di Melaka setakat ni.. Jonker Walk tu pun saya tak sampai lagi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kena pergi jonker walk at least sekali.. tapi memang sesak & panas :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm from Melaka and only been to Jonker Walk once. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah.. normally native would prefer to avoid such places.. :-)

      Delete